Over the past weeks I’ve given thought to what I could possibly say about politics that hasn’t been covered by every talking head in the world. There’s so much anger, hurt, disappointment and distrust in our nation that I see only one answer for getting through the weeks, months and perhaps even years ahead. How do you respond to friends, and even family members, who don’t seem to be concerned about such issues as the following:
- A statue of Jesus decapitated during open prayer in an El Paso Cathedral
- A Texas A&M professor who calls the President of the United States a fat Klansman and disparages conservatives and Christians
- Riots, burning and looting are OK (and in some cases even praised) while churches are fined thousands of dollars for holding services
- Twitter suspending accounts like The Babylon Bee with claim that they had violated their rules against “platform manipulation and spam.” After Bee followers made enough noise, Twitter did reinstate them, saying they’d been suspended “by mistake.” If you aren’t familiar with Babylon Bee, you might want to take a look at their website www.babylonbee.com a blog of satire, some very funny but also sad subjects.
- Newscasters reporting that “protests were mostly peaceful” but “damage will cost one to two billion dollars.” PEACEFUL? SERIOUSLY?
- Netflix production of “Cuties”, and some defending this child pornography, attempting to spin it as educational. PORN IS EDUCATIONAL? SERIOUSLY??? It has been reported this perverted film has led to a surge in Netflix cancellations. Praise God!
- Abortion, not just in the first trimester or the second, but the killing of sweet little babies right up to and following birth. If that doesn’t break your heart, my heart hurts for you!
- Being called a racist if you disagree with another’s political views. I’ve a good bit of Native American blood coursing through my tired old veins, but I guess I’m a racist.
- You may also be a racist if you’re concerned about voter fraud. Just a short time ago 1,600 uncounted ballots from the New Jersey primary 2 months ago were discovered in a “mislabeled” bin. How many ballots have been mailed to dead persons, persons who have moved?
- Before we cancelled Netflix we did view SOCIAL DILEMMA, definitely a worthwhile watch if you still have that account. A timely quote by Edward Tufte, taken from this series, “There are only two industries that call their customers users: illegal drugs and software.”
- Social media is a digital pacifier. Buckminster Fuller summed it up for me when he said, “Whether it is to be utopia or oblivion will be a touch and go relay race right up to the final moment.”
In the short time ahead we each must make a decision when we go to the polls (or mail in ballots that may or may not be counted), will we choose to remain a Republic, like we all hopefully have pledged since early childhood, “I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS……..” or will we vote for Socialism? Please forgive me for failing to complete the pledge. It continues, ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.” Some have chosen to omit “Under God”.
What do I believe is the only answer for getting through all this? “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” II Chronicles 7:14. And may the Lord God in Heaven give us all grace to be kind and civil towards each other and may we pray together for God’s perfect will to be accomplished, no matter who is elected in November.